Saturday, June 20, 2015

Simple Curried Lentils with Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas


I have been working like crazy lately so I haven’t had very much time to properly plan and shop for my meals.  Instead I dream up delicious things to make while at work, rush home to try to throw it together with what I have before I am off to my next job. It is that hour and half in-between that allows me to create what I want without any rules, and reap the rewards at the end, walking away with a full belly and a happy heart. So for most of my dishes, the ingredients are easily substituted to your taste and to what you have in your pantry. There is no exact science to it, just a lot of tasting along the way. 

Simple Curried lentils with Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas

Yields 5-6 side-dish servings and 3-4 main dish servings
Inspiration:

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1-inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and grated (or 1tsp. of ground ginger)
1 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. curry powder
4 cups vegetable broth
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup dried lentils
1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed
½ tsp. black paper
1 sprig of fresh rosemary, chopped
3 cups of greens (arugula, or preferred green)

To Make: In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, sauté until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, garam masala, and curry powder. Stir for minute.

Add 4 cups of broth, sweet potatoes, and lentils. Increase heat to high and bring to boil; reduce heat to medium, partially cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. Adding broth if the lentils seem dry. After 25 minutes, start tasting, add in chickpeas, black pepper and rosemary, and add any extra seasonings that you find necessary. Keep cooking until lentils are tender (5-10 minutes).

To plate: put down a bed of greens on each plate, add a heaping scoop of curry and garnish with fresh rosemary. Then enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment