Friday, November 21, 2014

Lavender Cinnamon Buttermilk Wheat Biscuits

It’s fall. Sigh. A lot of me hates the fact that it is cold outside, but I guess that the cold gives me an excuse to drink lots of tea and bake delicious things. I’m also going home soon and am so incredibly excited to finally have a kitchen and make things all day. My mom and I have discussed our extensive Thanksgiving feast menu and hopefully I’ll get to share some of our creations on here!


Anyway, these lovely biscuits are currently sitting in a pile in the mini-freezer of my dorm, and guess what? I didn’t even have to leave my room to bake one because I used our toaster oven (shhh, definitely not supposed to have that). I froze them individually so whenever I want a freshly baked warm biscuit, I can just pop it in the toaster oven, and voilà! Instant homemade biscuit--warm, and fluffy every time. The lavender in these is from the lavender infused sugar Sara sent me at the start of the school year. She just put some lavender from her Aunt’s lavender plant into a little bowl with some sugar and left it to marinate. I was too lazy to pick out the little lavender seeds from the sugar so I just kept them in there. (Seeds? I don't know if they're necessarily seeds, but that's what I will call them.) The lavender is great because the lovely floral notes are accentuated in bites with the seeds. The cinnamon helps to balance the floral flavor, and the wheat flour brings the biscuit full circle, adding a hearty, warm flavor, while giving it extra richness.





By all means, make these biscuits with or without lavender, and omit the cinnamon and a tablespoon of sugar if you want savory biscuits!

 Lavender Cinnamon Buttermilk Wheat Biscuits (makes 9-12 biscuits)
(recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

{ 1 ½ cups unbleached, white flour / ½ cup wheat flour /
1 ½ tablespoons of lavender sugar / 1 stick of butter, chilled and cut into cubes /
2 teaspoons of cinnamon / ¾ cup chilled buttermilk / 1 tablespoon baking powder /
 ¾ teaspoon baking soda / ¾ teaspoon salt }

If you are baking these in an oven, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
(If you use a toaster oven, I recommend turning it on for about 2 minutes before so the toaster oven has time to heat up before you put the biscuit in.)

Whisk together the flours, lavender sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Using a pastry cutter or your hands, rub in the butter to the flour mixture. After you have a sandy mixture with some pea sized lumps of butter, pour in the buttermilk and stir the mixture with a spatula until the dough forms. Knead the mixture with your hands just a few times until the dough holds together.

Put the dough on a floured surface and roll it out, about ¾ inches thick. Cut out the biscuits with a round cutter and place on baking sheet (or individually wrap in saran wrap and freeze for later.) After your first roll out of biscuits, reshape the dough and roll out again, until you use up all the dough.

Bake at 400 until golden brown, 12-15 minutes.

(Time is about the same in a toaster oven; just keep your eye on it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment