Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Berry Pavlova!

I can’t believe it is already August! I haven’t posted in a while, because I’ve been so busy. Sara and I just got back from Lollapalooza in Chicago and we pretty much had the best time of our lives. (Side note if you’re reading this go look up the song Bone Digger by Bear Hands—it has been on repeat for the past 72 hours.)  Anyway I baked for the first time in a while last night, and the result was a berry pavlova. I’ve never made a pavlova before, let alone ate one, but goodness me this probably is one of my favorite desserts. (It might have to do with my abnormal obsession over whipped cream, I don’t know.) But you should try it! This dessert is so easy and so delicious. I say use all the summer berries you can while they are still in season!

Berry Pavlova!
Recipe adapted from Summer Berry Layered Pavlova by Donal Skehan


Serves 8

{ 250g powdered sugar + 24g (divided)/ 
4 egg whites* / 
2 teaspoons of corn starch / 1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar
 / 1 pint of cream / 
about 2 cups mixed berries }
*Separate your egg whites at least 3 hours in advance and let them get to room temperature—this is the trick to foolproof glossy meringue!
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Line two baking trays with baking parchment.
Place the egg whites in a standing food mixer and whisk until foamy. Continue whisking on high and slowly add the 250g of sugar. Mix for about 8 minutes, or until glossy white peaks form. (Look at this beautiful glossy meringue!)

Using a spatula, gently fold in the corn starch and the white wine vinegar.
Divide the meringue mixture between the two baking trays and using a spatula, form two large meringue discs.
Bake for 45 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
While the cakes cool, whip the cream with an electric mixer and add the 24g of sugar.

Assemble the pavlova by spooning half the cream onto the first layer of meringue, adding half the berries and topping with the other meringue layer, remaining berries and cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment