Sunday, June 29, 2014

Summer Salsa


I love salsa. You can't beat fresh salsa in the summertime, or anytime, really. I don't buy salsa at the store anymore because with just a little more work, you can make something tastier and better for you at home.  The other thing about salsa is that you can serve it on just about anything--meats, eggs, salads, with chips etc. Below is my own favorite recipe for quick, delicious salsa. You can substitute, omit, or add ingredients from your fridge or to your own taste. (I have added notes under the ingredients with my suggestions.)


*This salsa is always better the day it is made. It will not be as tasty if you store it in the fridge overnight because the tomatoes release their juices and the salsa becomes less potent. I always reduce the amount of ingredients if I'm just eating it myself, or add to it if I'm making it for many people.

Sachi's Summer Salsa

{ 3 roma tomatoes* / 1 fresh jalapeño pepper* / 1/4 of a red onion / 3 Tablespoons cilantro*, chopped /
2 Tablespoons chives*, chopped / 1 Tablespoon garlic scapes*, chopped / juice from 1/2 a lime* / salt / pepper / drizzle of olive oil }

*Roma tomatoes work well for summer and winter because they are always available. If it is summer and you have beautiful red tomatoes from the garden, by all means, use them.

*Use less jalapeño if you want it less hot, or add more if you love spicy salsa. I also often substitute a peeled and seeded Anaheim pepper, which are bigger and milder than jalapeños. To peel the Anaheim, use a gas burner to char the skin, and then peel it.

*I love green things in my salsa. That's why I use a ton of cilantro, chives, and garlic scapes. If you don't have the scapes you can use a teaspoon of minced garlic or omit it. Green onion also works well if you don't have chives.

*Lemon juice is totally fine if you don't happen to have a lime. Lemon/lime juice must be fresh! Never ever ever use weird juice from a bottle. I do not understand why these juice bottles shaped like lemons and limes were invented.

Peel the tomatoes by dropping them in boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain and rinse the tomatoes in cool water. Core, peel. and dice them. Core, seed and finely chop the jalapeño. Chop the cilantro, chives, and garlic scapes and add everything to the tomatoes. Add the lime juice and a drizzle of olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything together, and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment